Monday, November 26, 2007

Long Time

So it sure has been a long time and I figured I will give you all an update on what has been happening in my life. It has been a busy one for sure, so in advance sorry for the length book I am about to write. Well most of you have probably seen me or at least heard from me in the last little while. Sorry for those who have not but let's start at the beginning.
After summer ended I came back to Alberta and right away applied to be a substitute teacher. That didn't work out as planned as they took over a month to process me and finally get me one list so I could start working. The transition was what I thought it was going to be like. I had a hard time at first adjusting to being here. It is not that I didn't like being home. I am loving it but it was hard not being around all those people I had been around for two wonderful years. But after a week or two that passed and what replaced it was an inability to do nothing. I had to be doing something. I couldn't just sit around because I was so used to always having something to do, or at least someone across the hall to go and pester and come up with something to do. So for the rest of my time not working I created every home project I could think of. I carpet cleaned my while house pretty much, started stripping some water damaged furniture to re-finish it, make my home more green (as in environmentally friendly), and many other odd ends. This time was great but once I ran out of things to do it was stretching to rest for me... which was good because I realized how tired I actually was. Once there is nothing more for you to push yourself for it is amazing how your body really lets you know how much rest you really need. It was one of the wonderful times of rest and yet fun work as well... you know the stuff you enjoy.

Well after that I finally got on the sub list for the area right around where I live. I was a little nervous for how much work they were going to have for me and that I might have to apply for another school district as well like the one in Edmonton but I have not had to as they have kept me busy pretty much everyday since I started. I think I can only count 7 or 8 days in two months that I have not had a job teaching, so that has been good news. So that has been life here. I have been teaching and doing stuff around home for pretty much three months now. I had the opportunity to go back to camp about a month ago now. They needed a speaker last minute for a Jrs. retreat, so Ken called me. I loved it. It was so funny as he called me on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and needed me there Friday evening. I was so nervous. Not really to be in front of kids... I do that everyday all day long... but to speak, to come up with something that is suppose to have value for this kids to learn. Now that was scary. But it all turned out so well. I got to hang out with kids and visit with friends, it was so nice to see everyone. It was great to see how God worked too as there were a few kids this summer that I really connected well with. And pretty much everyone of the ones that I connected with was there at the retreat. It almost seemed like God brought me there to bless me rather than me to be a blessing, although I did my best to be one as well. Then just over a week ago I was able to go down to Briercrest to visit all there. That was great and again such a blessing to connect and visit with everyone. Now I guess that is almost everything that has been happening but not all that has happened if that makes sense. I have been learning lots.

It has been a wonderful timer here. At first I really wanted to be out on the island for another year and was really enjoying it out there but God didn't give me peace about it so home I came... Not knowing what it is that God wanted me here for. I still don't know 100% what it is but I am starting to figure some of it out. One thing is that my grandma... not the one that you all know has Alzheimer’s. And we were given about a year before her meds stopped working. We the blessing was that we got about 3 years with her. In the last month or so she has taken a huge turn for the worse. She is no longer able to look after herself nor can my grandpa do it either. It has been nice being able to be her and help were I can so my parents don't have to bare this burden alone. It kinda all started last wednesday when I was driving home from Briercrest and got a phone call from my sister than she had fallen at their apartment and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. She turned out to be ok with no injury. Another huge blessing from God followed with an even bigger one. My parents had already started to look into getting more care for my grandma but the process is slow. With this fall and visit to the hospital it skipped over the whole process we were trying to start because there was an incident so she is immediately put in the system to find a place. It has been a tough go but I have loved spending time with my grandpa taking to and from the hospital this last week or so as we have talked lots but now that he has started sharing about what has been going on with grandma... wow the lessons I have to learn. I am not an elegant man of words and I could also use a whole other blog to say the things I have learnt from grandpa this last week but his dedication to grandma is astounding.

He has been looking after her for the last few weeks with things turning bad quickly without asking for much help... not out of pride or lack of needing help but out of a dedication for the "better or worse" part. He would never say this but you can tell it in the way that he talks to her. Greets her with a kiss even though she has no idea who he is (and she doesn't swing at him). I would if a strange person tried to kiss me. But not know that but hearing the stories he has been telling... I found out that the other night when my grandma was in the hospital was the first night of 60 some years of marriage that they had not spent together. Grandpa quit his job as a salesman when he got married and they have never spent a night apart since. I can't fathom that.

Anyway... these are only a few of the lessons and things I have been enjoying learning and figuring out... and like I said sorry about the novel. I miss you guys and love you all very much. Take care and may God bless you all.

Your Brother in Christ,
Brandon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home