Food for Thought...
Hey everyone! I miss you all SO much. Even as I type that, I don't believe it's completely sunk in that, for some of us, we'll never see each other again (in this lifetime). But I still miss you all, wishing that we could have made this next step in life together, rather than spliting ways.
I also wanted to write some stuff that got put on my heart today. This afternoon, my family and myself shopped in Woodgrove Mall (Nanaimo). I really didn't feel like buying anything; maybe I felt I had to save the cash, maybe I didn't really need anything, but as I looked around, I found myself unappealed by things that used to appeal to me.
I also discovered something else. One of my quotes for the Worldview journals went like this: "Affluence is the god of the twenty-first century, and the adman is his prophet." I found myself noticing ads everywhere! I don't know why they stuck out so much, but there were ads on the ceiling, the floor, the walls, projection TVs, and even small cards on the tables at the food court. I felt these ads intruding my private space, entering my mind, attempting to win me over.
Finally, after I paid and ate my $8 meal, I did some people watching... I couldn't help myself. But I saw fathers loving their children, despite the fact that no matter how good a job they do, their child could end up in a bad place someday. I saw couples holding hands, and I thought of Justin and Charissa a bit... each of those couples are having (or going to have) some tough struggles, some big decisions, and a lot of responsibility. I saw groups of girls, attempting to turn every eye in the mall onto their bodies with what they were wearing, how they were walking, etc.
Inside my own mind, it was a gong show. Everyone walking around thinking they have purpose... self-seeking and ignorant. Everyone concerned with their own agenda, attempting to make themselves win in a futile rat race. Everyone without an experience like Kaleo, where they were able to learn more about themselves, about others, and about true life.
Just some musings as I moped in the mall...
I also wanted to write some stuff that got put on my heart today. This afternoon, my family and myself shopped in Woodgrove Mall (Nanaimo). I really didn't feel like buying anything; maybe I felt I had to save the cash, maybe I didn't really need anything, but as I looked around, I found myself unappealed by things that used to appeal to me.
I also discovered something else. One of my quotes for the Worldview journals went like this: "Affluence is the god of the twenty-first century, and the adman is his prophet." I found myself noticing ads everywhere! I don't know why they stuck out so much, but there were ads on the ceiling, the floor, the walls, projection TVs, and even small cards on the tables at the food court. I felt these ads intruding my private space, entering my mind, attempting to win me over.
Finally, after I paid and ate my $8 meal, I did some people watching... I couldn't help myself. But I saw fathers loving their children, despite the fact that no matter how good a job they do, their child could end up in a bad place someday. I saw couples holding hands, and I thought of Justin and Charissa a bit... each of those couples are having (or going to have) some tough struggles, some big decisions, and a lot of responsibility. I saw groups of girls, attempting to turn every eye in the mall onto their bodies with what they were wearing, how they were walking, etc.
Inside my own mind, it was a gong show. Everyone walking around thinking they have purpose... self-seeking and ignorant. Everyone concerned with their own agenda, attempting to make themselves win in a futile rat race. Everyone without an experience like Kaleo, where they were able to learn more about themselves, about others, and about true life.
Just some musings as I moped in the mall...
2 Comments:
Dang Philips People watching...Sounds kinda stalkerish...Just Kiddin but seriously those are some good observations. Don't succomb to the ads.
"...arrogant, overfed and unconcerned..." Ezekiel 16:49
From my point of view, I know exactly how you feel. Malls are great examples... hence why I hate them... but it's going to be heartbreaking and down right miserable for you guys this next year and years past if you do not rely on God. Do not forget what you've learned and how you've all changed this year. Dig deep. Trust God.
I think you should take a marketing course... you'll notice even more ads, and all the adversting that drowns us all everyday...
Post a Comment
<< Home